Thursday 14 June 2007

Vagina Monologues@Sheffield Lyceum

Tonight I went with some chums from the drama group & book club (nine of us in all) to see the Vagina Monologues and it was great! Considering that I hadn't felt well all week and had tried in vain to give my ticket away in case I wasn't up to it; and despite the torrential rain and queues to get into and out of Sheffield, I was really pleased that I went. It's laugh out loud funny with suberb acting from Shabna Gulati (from corrie), Sammy Winward (from emmerdale) and especially Lesley Thomas (Dorian in birds of a feather). Some of Sammy's chums from Emmerdale were sat behind us lot and judging by the fact they were laughing louder than us at times it obviously went down well with them too. I'd recommend it to anyone, though obviously women outweighed men in the audience we were at and one or two of the men did look uncomfortable, not so the gay couple in front of me and K who were in hysterics throughout. It's a no holds barred sort of affair that's also very moving and very honest as well as being damned funny so not one to go see with sensitive types who are easily offended by exploring the anatomy of female sensuality in a public setting. By the way K and I couldn't help noticing how very tiny Lesley Thomas is in real life, she really is very petite... just shows you how telly changes one's proportions. Anyway do see it if you're that way out as it's a real treat.

1 comment:

Liz Hinds said...

I read the book and found it very sombre and serious so was put off the show. Sounds good though.